Tuesday, February 24, 2015

NEDAwareness Week Day Four: Bullying and Eating Disorders


Bullying is a major contributor to eating disorders - 65% say that it factored into their struggle.

While eating disorders may first appear to be solely about food and weight preoccupations, those who who struggle with them are often using their disordered eating to cope with feelings and emotions that may otherwise seem overwhelming. Bullying can trigger feelings of shame, isolation and hopelessness. It can also be a trigger for eating disorders. As many as 65% of people with an eating disorder said that bullying contributed to their condition (b-EAT).
Bullying and weight-related discrimination are commonplace in a culture that glorifies thinness and ridicules people of larger sizes. Unfortunately, weight discrimination occurs more frequently than age or gender discrimination.

Stories for Inspiration:

"At school, I envied the boys that could walk through the locker room with their shirts off without having a reasons to be ashamed, without being pointed and laughed at. I thought being thin would bring happiness but the real problem was love. I lacked love. Love from my family who was occupied by trying to put the pieces together after this divorce and mostly, LOVE FOR MYSELF."
-Read More of Eric's Story Here: Stories of Hope: Broken Never Shattered

"My experience started in eighth grade, when the "popular girls" used to make me feel bad about myself and how I looked."
-Read More of Yaritza's Story Here: Bullying Triggered My Eating Disorder

Get Involved:             

                                                                                                                          10 "I WILL" Statements Towards Positive Body Image


Join Us for the BulliED Tweet Chat at 12:00 Central Time February 25th



BulliED: Bullying and Eating Disorders

No comments:

Post a Comment